This is because platinum is rarer than gold, has a higher density, and is purer. Plus, investing in a Gold IRA can be a great way to diversify your portfolio and protect your retirement savings. Platinum and white gold, what's the difference? If you're thinking about buying an engagement ring, you might be asking yourself this question. While the two metals look the same, there are a few key differences that are worth noting. In this quick guide, we'll compare platinum and white gold side by side to give you all the information you need to know to make the best decision for you or your future fiancé.

Platinum is an incredibly rare metal, naturally white. Platinum is one of the purest precious metals you can buy, consisting of 95% pure platinum and the remaining 5% are additional alloys. When used in jewelry, gold comes in several forms, including white gold, yellow gold, and real rose gold. The different variations of this precious metal also include 14k gold, 18k gold, 21k gold and 24k gold, which is 100% pure gold.

The main difference between platinum and gold rings is color, platinum is naturally white and gold is naturally yellow. However, when comparing the two, people usually opt for white gold, since it is similar in appearance to platinum and has a much lower price. The proportion of white gold includes an alloy of gold and white metal (nickel, silver or palladium). To maintain its silver tone, white gold is finished with a rhodium plating; when rhodium is discolored, the ring will reveal a yellowish tint until it is re-polished and re-plated.

At first glance, platinum and white gold have a lot in common. This is how things compare when we compare the two side by side. Some engagement ring framing matches perfectly with the clean white color and tones of white gold and platinum. When choosing an engagement ring, try these styles on a platinum or white gold frame to enhance the natural brilliance of your diamond or gemstone.

The Halo Halo bezel features a central diamond surrounded by a circle of smaller diamonds called decorative stones. This style can result in the illusion of a larger central stone and blends beautifully with platinum or white gold. Vintage, also known as “antique”, vintage rings usually have Edwardian filigree, art deco symmetry, and colorful types of gemstones. The pale tones of platinum and white gold emphasize bright stones such as turquoise, amethyst, opal and blue enamel, which is often used in vintage designs.

At the end of the day, what's best comes down to personal preferences, lifestyle, and budget. Someone with an active lifestyle might prefer a platinum ring because of its durability. However, with a little more attention, white gold can easily withstand normal use. Perhaps the price is high on the mind.

In that case, white gold could be the way to go. Whatever you decide, don't be afraid to compare prices and ask questions; buying a diamond ring is a great investment, so take your time. Gold or silver is a much safer option if you're just starting out, but platinum could be useful if you want to diversify your portfolio with more precious metals. If it is a mix between platinum and white gold, which share a similar aesthetic, platinum also triumphs on the hypoallergenic front.

But why pay the price of a platinum ring when you can opt for the same white gold bezel at half the price?. Precious metals are a common analogy for ratings, such as music records or awards, and platinum is always ahead of gold in these settings. Gold is a safe and stable investment for a retirement account, while platinum fluctuates much more frequently. This price discrepancy is largely due to platinum being denser, so more material is required to make a ring, making white gold the cheaper option for buyers.

This doesn't mean platinum is always a bad investment, but you should consult with a financial advisor to determine if it's the right option for you. Platinum is a light silver or white color that is also a popular choice for rings, necklaces, earrings and bracelets. A financial professional can determine market trends by looking at the price differences between platinum and gold. If you're looking for alternatives to a traditional IRA and are deciding whether to buy gold or platinum, gold is probably your safest bet.

Debate on lab-grown diamonds, research on why trackable and third-party certified ASM gold is so important, and research on why platinum is no longer more expensive than gold. .